Sunday, July 26, 2015

Chronic Fatigue Before and After Cancer




      

Chronic Fatigue Before and After Cancer
Barbara Henderson

I have faced extreme fatigue for years.  It is basically disabling.  I am limited in what I can do.  This was actually sort of helpful when cancer came along because I was already living with  the fact that I couldn’t do most of the things that I wanted to do.  Since my treatment is over doctors have asked how I am coping with not being able to do things I did before cancer.  I have to tell them that I can do about everything I could do before cancer except walk two miles.  I can walk ½ mile usually now. 

My main issue at this time is dizziness.  I was having unexplained dizziness prior to the cancer.  It has not improved.  I have the feeling that if I could get the dizziness under control that I would be able to do more than before cancer. 

My oncologist ordered an MRI to check for horrible things.  He isn’t really looking for anything.  He just said we have to rule out some things before he decides what to do about the dizziness.  He has some sort of IV therapy in mind.  I can’t remember the name of it. 
Results from the MRI are on Thursday.  As I said, since I have had very bad dizziness for some time I don’t think it is related to the cancer.  Hopefully I will not get a surprise. 

Now, regarding the MRI – it was absolutely horrible!  Remember that I have been through months of aggressive chemo, life threatening surgery, and more chemo over the last thirteen months.  So when I say the MRI was horrible, that means it was really horrible.  I didn’t know about the noise involved in getting one done.  It is like a PET scan or a CAT scan in that you have to be very still for however long it takes.  There is a tunnel or tube you have to stay in in all three.  All three are difficult for anyone who is even mildly claustrophobic – which I am.  But the difference in the MRI is the noise factor.  Even wearing headphones it sounds like a fog horn is blasting in your ear the entire time.  I didn’t know about that before my MRI. I have an extreme sensitivity to noise so it was really hard.  I might have done better if I had known about that to begin with.  If it ever comes up again I plan to take some of those Styrofoam ear plugs and at least ask if I can wear them in addition to the ear-muffs provided.  Noise cancellation headsets are not useable because they won’t work with the high powered magnets. 

I will post soon with the results of the test and possible treatment for dizziness.  I have been surprised at the number of people in my limited world who are having unexplained dizziness. 

If you have a story regarding your struggle with your health or the health of a loved one I would be pleased to hear about it.  Any treatments or strategies that have been helpful would be welcome news. 

Currently I am trying Ceylon cinnamon mixed with honey hoping for an energy boost.  This is an easy thing for me to try since I love cinnamon like most people love chocolate.  I swallow enough pills every day to count as a full meal. 

And I am still – waiting on my hair to grow…….

No comments:

Post a Comment